Workshop Supply List
Here’s a list of supplies you will need for your workshop
- one 22 x 30 inch sheet of 140lb cold press watercolor paper. Arches is recommended. You can also use good quality watercolor paper in pads.
- optional – bring a box cutter or similar blade & a metal yardstick & I’ll show you how to cut your large sheet into smaller pieces while retaining the deckled edge.
- brushes, assorted sizes (for example: a 16 round or higher, a #8 round and a flat 1″ wash). Look for synthetic watercolor brushes – more affordable!
- a round white plastic palette with at least 10 paint wells – larger palette is best.
- a pencil, a ruler and kneaded rubber eraser.
- optional, but strongly suggested – a spiral bound book (at least 5 x 7 in size) containing watercolor paper. This is for notes and color studies.
- masking tape or artist’s tape. Scotch brand makes an excellent watercolor artist tape. Brown, gummed packing tape is also OK.
- two empty containers for water (like a large-size yogurt).
- a plastic spray bottle & a roll of paper towels.
- a board. You can use a drawing board or just cut a piece of plywood. Should be large enough to hold a 16 x 20 sheet of paper. If you want to wet & stretch your watercolor paper, find a board that will accommodate stapling the paper to it. Sturdy Foam core board or gator board is also acceptable. Foam Core board is cheap and easily found but will only last for a few painting sessions.
- portable hairdryer (not mandatory, but nice for quick drying your work!).
- lunch, snacks, drinks – we take a short “working lunch”.
- a small tube of each of the following earth colors: Raw Sienna, Burnt Sienna, Ultramarine Blue
- You will also benefit from a warm and a cool version of red, yellow and blue. For example: Cadmium Yellow Medium, Winsor Lemon, Cadmium Red Light, Permanent Rose, French Ultramarine (same as above) and Cobalt Blue. If in doubt, or if you are not ready to work with 6 variations of red, yellow and blue – three colors that reliably work well together are Winsor Yellow, Winsor Red and Winsor Blue (Red Shade).